Mid Atlantic Presbytery 2018 Z-4:10 Partnership Grants
Z-4:10 Purpose and Mission
“Z-4:10” stands for Zechariah 4:10, "For who has despised the day of small things?" Scripture reveals a God who works in remarkable ways in seemingly small and unexpected places not unlike like the smaller churches in the EPC!
Did you know?
- 6 out of every 10 EPC churches meet with fewer than 200 each Sunday
- 4 out of every 10 EPC churches meet with less than 100 each Sunday
The Z–4:10 Network was formed to affirm, equip and encourage the leaders of these "small steeple" churches, and assist them in understanding their ministries missionally, discerning their church's unique strengths and gifts, and reaching their communities.
The Z–4:10 Network operates under five affirmations:
• A church has worth and significance because it is a people of God, not because of its size.
• In determining ministry success, being a missional church is more important than size.
• Lack of growth in a church, regardless of size, may or may not be indicative of missional unfaithfulness and must be honestly addressed.
• Solutions to issues in a small church may be different than those in a larger setting.
• Leaders of small churches will benefit from connections with peers, mentors, and coaches.
Internships in Small Churches
Three matching $1650 Z-4:10 Internship Grants will be offered in 2018. These grants would help small churches partner with regional college and seminary students. Matching grants are to be used to fund an internship stipend or create a ministry opportunity to help a college or seminary student.
Z-4:10 Internship Matching Grant Guidelines
- Church Membership 150 or less
- Church must participate in the work and life of the PMA with per member asking and Teaching Elder and Ruling Elder attendance.
- Church must participate in the Z4:10 Network
- Grant money may not be used for building renovations or upgrades of any kind.
- The church session is requested to receive a visit from a Go Center Representative (at no cost to the church).
- The Internship Plan, Job Description, Goals, and Evaluation are to be clearly communicated in a 1-2 page Narrative submitted to the CDC Z4:10 Team.
- It is suggested that churches first look at current PMA Candidates to fill internship, but the internships are not limited to PMA Candidates
- Church will be asked to consider paying the grant funds forward in the future.
- The Church will be required either in writing or by visit to report to the Z4:10 Network the progress and evaluation of the internship or ministry opportunity.
- The grant funds are for one year and must be used within that calendar year.
To apply for the Z4:10 Network Grant please submit the following:
- 1-2 page Narrative of plan, internship job description, goals, and evaluation process for the internship or ministry project ( The who, what, where, when, and how)
- Financial cost of stipend or project.
- Date of Church Session approval.
- Submit Church budget with line item for church’s matching portion of funds or a letter from Session stating that church will match or exceed PMA funds.